There are certain standards you should seek in selecting a Family Law and Matrimonial Attorney. Along with experience, being a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers is significant. For more information, Click Here


Potential clients are invited to inquire with Ronald A. Phillips, Attorneys at Law, about family law matters such as divorce, child custody, maintenance (alimony), child support or prenuptial agreements in New York.
Contact US

10.0Ronald Allan Phillips


U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers publicly announced the Tenth Edition of the "Best Law Firms" rankings on November 01, 2019. Our firm has been included in this elite and extremely impressive group.
Complete Rankings

Press Release

60 Dutch Hill Road
Suite 15
Orangeburg NY 10962 Telephone: 845.875.4376

Same – sex marriage rules in New York

Important Same-Sex Marriage Rules in New York

New York has always been known for its openness and acceptance toward the LGBT community, highlighted as far back as 2011 when a monumental law came into effect. In 2011, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the Marriage Equality Act into law, allowing same-sex couples within the state to legally marry. The city clerk of New York began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples that same year. This is especially relevant today, following a United States Supreme Court ruling that allows same – sex marriages in New York and throughout the United States.

A same-sex couple who wants to marry in New York needs to follow a few steps to become legally married. They first need to submit a Marriage License to the state clerk, typically done online. If they are unable to apply online, the same-sex couple may apply for the marriage license by visiting the city clerk's office.

Once the application is accepted, a confirmation number will be given. The same-sex couple must then bring that number back to the city clerk's office for processing. The same-sex partners need to be present in the city clerk's office in order to file the application with the state.

If the same-sex partners so desire, a marriage ceremony may be performed in celebration of the marriage. According to law, however, the same-sex couple needs to wait for 24 hours before the ceremony can be performed. But, they may apply for a judicial waiver. If granted, the ceremony may take place on the same day the application was granted.


Source:, "Marriage Bureau,"